Sunday, June 15, 2008

Let's Talk Prophecies and Prophets

On my InterFaith Prayer List a poster recommends a very interesting and controversial website on prophecies about the devastation happening this year. Here's that post and my response. What are your thoughts?

Join My InterFaith Prayer Group

Join My AllFaith Group


What are your views:
    * What makes one a prophet?
    * What if their prophecies fail?
    * Is it possible to predict the future?
    * Can we change the future?
    * How much stake do you place in the prophecies?
    * What are your thoughts on 2012?
First, the comment:

I know many of you have read from this site. But you have
not read this page. I read it way back before any of these
"plagues" were taking place, at least not on the scale they
are recently, and people were saying these things would
never happen, but now they are, so I'm convinced it's all
legitimate, and that there's more to come.....unfortnate
it's real.

http://www.theamericannightmare.org/7_PLAGUES__D-D.html

My reply:

Hi friends,

I appreciate that this is primarily a prayer list rather than a forum for discussion, but as more and more prophecies, dreams, etc. are being revealed/given/made concerning the coming devastation that will soon (it is believed by many of us) rock this nation to its foundations, I think it may be helpful to discuss if/how we can know what to pray for and about, how to determine which prophecies are true and which are false and possibly address the question of whether making/accepting such prophecies creates the paradigms for such negative manifestations.

Sound interesting or worthwhile? What are your thoughts?

Like many many other people I believe we are entering into a very difficult period of time and, like many others, I have been having dreams, visions and "hits" about this Autumn specifically for, in my case, the last 2 years or so and in general terms since 1969.

A great many people, including many religionists, ancient calendar creators, past and present psychics, readers, seers, scryers, prophets, dreamers, scientists and others, are pointing to Dec. 20, 2012 or thereabout as a key period of global transformation: as the end of the world, as the date the Antichrist/Rex Mundi will arise, or as the general date when a new and better world will begin (the dawning of the Age of Aquarius). What will happen is debated but that something huge is on the horizon is commonly accepted now by many of us.

There has not been so many "prophetic revelations" since the mid 1800s. Paula here indirectly raises this question with her latest reference to this prophetic website: http://www.theamericannightmare.org

In my opinion, this is a very interesting site, I've been reading it for quite a while now, and it raises a question that I would like your thoughts on.

The author of these prophecies faces a problem in that according to the Bible one claiming to be a prophet, whose prophecies do not come to pass, is to be stoned to death as a false prophet.The author has been off on several points. Does this mean we should reject his warnings and information?

Like many others, including yours truly, he has been correct on much of what he has predicted for this year so far. Many of us predicted the recent floods, earthquakes, fires, droughts, famines, salmonella outbreak, political and religious scandals, economic woes etc. that are only now beginning if we are correct, and we see massive devastation far worse hitting this Fall, I keep getting hits about October.

BUT then there are other prophecies he has made on the site that have not come to pass and the religious spin he places on his warnings are not in some cases accurate (in my humble opinion). Does his accurate predictions mean he is accurate on all points? Surely not! What do you think?

I usually refer to "getting hits" or feelings that this or that may happen or I reference my dreams (such as my "dream of melting cake": http://www.allfaith.com/Mystory/dream508.html) rather than claiming to make "prophecies" per se. Indeed, I am clear that thus far I have "received no clear Word" from God as a prophet of these things.

About a year and a half ago on my Y! 360 site and elsewhere I said I believed the 2008 presidential campaign would be between McCain (who at the time had been written off by almost all the "talking heads") and Hillery (who it now appears has lost her bid). I was certain this would be the ticket (I thought McCain would just barely win but wasn't as certain as I was of the competitors in the race). I felt sure about this, but I was apparently wrong. Obama won. I'm not 'pointing fingers' here.

I mention this because it seems to me that sometimes what is "prophetic" is not so clear. I find this site to be simultaneously fascinating and frustrating, but this is my main issue with it. He claims to be ultimately authoritative and to reflect the unabashed revelation of prophetic truth. But he errs on points. What does it mean that he (me, and others) get some things right and some wrong when the Bible clearly says:

De 18:17 And HaShem said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken.
18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which HaShem hath not spoken?
22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of HaShem, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which HaShem hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Your thoughts?

John of AllFaith



No comments: