Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Devotional Paganism, Sexism in Gaudiya Vaisnavism: Hare Krsna

One of my dear Blog friends wrote asking for my views about sexism in Gaudiya Vaisnavism. He currently follows a Path he calls "Devotional Paganism." Here's my reply.
What are your thoughts?

I've removed his name as the question came via a personal note.

Here's his question:1

Dear Jaganath Prakash,

HARE KRISHNA! I feel honored to have you as a friend because you are open-minded about religion.I run away from all religious intolerance.I consider myself an OM-PAGAN because I have such a problem with the anti-Feminism of Gaudiaya Vaishnavism.I came within a fraction of an inch of marrying an extremely intelligent Vaisnavi [ie a female member of Vaisnavism] about 25 years ago.I backed out because she shattered my Myth of male superiority.For that I'm deeply greatful.I believe from the core of my heartthat worshipping the Divine is both the End and the Means but I m deeply disturbed by the negativity of GV.1.Anti-Female 2. Anti-college 3. Anti- marriage [Hetrosexual] 3. anti-job 4. anti-world.

Of course only a mad person would think the world will go on forever as we know it but I believe in facing Life with Positivity.I find that in what I call Devotional Paganism or OM-PAGANISM.I m try to be in a constant state of prayer/chanting but I do not hate women.I see no benefit in it.Of course sex desire is a big problem that we all have to face and I openly admitt that I m overwhelmed BUT I do not see HATING women and MARRIAGE [Hetrosexual] as the answer.I see Paganism as a positive religion.

If you want to respond to my blasphemy please send to

.......@gmail.com

I find that the best way to attain detachment is to LOVE the world not HATE the world!


My reply:

Namaskar .... prabhu,

Dandavats my friend.

I hate to disappoint, but I agree with you in the main ;-) This is a big problem with ISKCON (which I assume is the Gaudiya Vaisnava group you are referring to). ISKCON today is much more open to the role of women than it was in the 70's by the way.

The reason I practice what I call AllFaith Spirituality is that I have not found an organized religion that I can fully believe in. I wish I could. Conversely, I have seen much good in all religions, including Gaudiya Vaisnavism.

Gaudiya Vaisnavism, as most forms of Hinduism, stresses the importance of maintaining tradition. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur often said that one should parrot the teachings of ones guru in order to maintain the purity of the teachings. That makes complete sense... but also has some obvious pitfalls.

My diksa gurudeva, Abhay Charanaravinda Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, one of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta's (the founder of modern Gaudiya Vaisnavism) disciples, followed this tradition as do most of the self-proclaimed leaders of ISKCON (although they ignored Swami Bhaktivedanta's clear instructions on ISKCON leadership after his disappearance -- death... a topic for a different conversation..).

Another of my gurudevas, His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Bibudha Bodhayan Maharaja, acarya and spiritual master of the Sri Gopinath Gaudiya Math and successor to Srila Bhakti Pramode Puri Goswami Maharaj, who was the senior disciple of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta and senior godbrother of my Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami -- agrees with this parroting view.

In other words, this parroting tradition is a common feature of all Gaudiya Vaisnava sampradayas (schools), as in the rest of Hinduism and other religions. This particular teaching on gender (in)equality stems from a time when virtually everywhere on earth including India, Europa and Africa, women were regarded as chattel. This view is presented in the Vedic Scriptures etc. The rationale for this is tied to the teachings of samsara (reincarnation/transmigration). According to Gaudiya Vaisnavism, the purpose of human life is not "equality" but for the inequalities that leads the jiva (soul) gradually back Home to submission to God. To this end, all souls, when contrasted to Sri Krsna (The Godhead) are considered female. Human society is hence a reflection of the spiritual society. This is the view of Gaudiya Vaisnavas. The intention is not to be "sexist" but to parrot the teachings as handed down from antiquity.

Its worth noting that in 15th century Srila Caitantya Mahaprabhu, like Sikhism' first master Guru Nanak, laid the foundation for gender equality within Indian culture and religion.

However the only constant in this life is change. Balancing tradition with the eternally turning of the wheel is not easy. Modern society is moving into the new paradigm of gender equality and the religious traditions are gradually adapting, including Gaudiya Vaisnaism.

SOMETIMES the old ways are better. SOMETIMES the new ways are better. Understand that the notion that the lack of gender equality is even a problem to be addressed is a fairly recent view however. The gender hierarchy has existed for all of recorded history in the vast majority of human cultures. Gaudiya Vaisnavism merely reflects this ancient reality. Do we need to move beyond sexism? Undoubtedly, but it takes time and patience.

In ancient India women were often denied access to the mandirs or kept completely apart from males. Srila Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada allowed women and men to have much closer relations than his predecessors. He accepted female disciples and even allowed them to live in his mandirs and ashrams. That was revolutionary. Did he go far enough? Most would say no. I would say no. However he did take great strides in the right direction.

Understand also that the term "Pagan" is even broader than the term "Hindu." MANY traditional Pagans have been "sexist," many Pagans were downright misogynists.

Lord Caitanya, the founder of Bengali (Gaudiya) Vaisnavism was, in my opinion, an enlightened master whose presentation of acintya bheda abheda tattva was truly inspired, the presence of various negatives in Indian culture aside.

I try to avoid "throwing the baby out with the bathwater."

My approach is to seek the good in the various religions and apply those to my own AllFaith sadhana (practice). I only accept as truth what Ek Devata (the One God) impresses on my heart and mind. I'm not therefore a practicing Gaudiya Vaisnava now, although I maintain ties with this wonderful religious path. In my opinion, however conceived, God is More. Always More.

Ek Devata is utterly imminent and simultaneously completely transcendent.
Ek Devata is neither male nor female.
We are nether male nor female.
We are eternal jivatman dancing the Dance of Life with our Beloved.

There's a common saying in India, "The lotus grows in the mire."
I accept this.

As for the rest, Lord Caitanya taught a Path of devotionalism that stresses the importance of spirituality and enlightenment and de-values material attainment and accomplishment. Gaudiya Vaisnavas have traditionally viewed personal wealth, education, fame, etc. as distractions from what really matters: spiritual enlightenment.

This teaching is in sharp contrast with the "Protestant Work Ethic" that West largely subscribes to.

This path is not for everyone, but personally I hold Lord Caitanya to have been one of the most enlightened religious innovators and thinkers of all time.

As you doubtless know Sanatana Dharma philosophy can be divided into six orthodox (āstika) schools of thought, or darshanas (literally, "views"):
  1. Sankhya, a strongly dualist theoretical exposition of mind and matter.
  2. Yoga, a school emphasizing meditation closely based on Sankhya
  3. Nyaya or logics
  4. Vaisheshika, an empiricist school of atomism
  5. Mimamsa, an anti-ascetic and anti-mysticist school of orthopraxy
  6. Vedanta, opposing Vedic ritualism in favour of mysticism. Vedanta came to be the dominant current of Hinduism in the post-medieval period.
Srila Caitanya's acintya bheda abheda [ie inconceivable, simultaneous oneness and diversity] teachings, in my opinion, expands on and explains these traditional views and presents a clear picture of reality and our place therein. I fully accept this doctrine.

It is primarily the Gaudiya Vaisnavas who hold to Caitanya's teachings on this. Through the efforts of the Gaudiya Vaisnavas this wisdom is gradually finding a footing within the greater Hindu religion and into Western thought as well.

Just my thoughts,

~ Jagannatha Prakasa

No comments: